This sketch of the building was done for Mr Charles Clowes, by David Russell, a local Buxton Artist.
SK0573NE THE QUADRANT
616-1/3/26 (South side)
No.4 Cavendish Circus
Shop. Late C19. Ashlar gritstone with ashlar dressings and
Welsh slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: single storey. Original recessed shop front between
outer ashlar pilasters with narrow fascia board above, topped
with deep curved parapet. Shopfront has central doorway with
pediment and glazed door, and either side canted 2-light
windows with broad sills, with gilded inscription panels, and
glazed panels below. Above continuous 7-light window with
leaded square pane glazing.
INTERIOR: retains fine quality original shop fittings
including ornate carved wooden shelves, curved counters,
medicinal stores and clock.
This is a rare survival of C19 pharmacy with original
Listing NGR: SK0580673629
Map of central Buxton, Circa 1897
Map of central Buxton, circa 1919